For a comprehensive download of all recorded earthquakes since approximately 1898, try using this web page:
- ANSS Catalog Search – Please note that the data derived from this search, while it contains latitudes and longitudes, does NOT contain states or counties. One would have to submit the lat/longs to a reverse geo-coding process in order to obtain country, state, and county values.
- FrackingData Reverse-Geocoded Earthquakes from 1898-01-01 to date (updated on an approximately monthly basis).
- comma-separated values, approximately 75 MB in size. compressed, 391 MB expanded
- SQLite 3 database, approximately 162 MB in size, compressed, 1.1 GB expanded
- I have authored a program in Python 3 that reverse geo-codes (via GeoNames and K-D Trees) the lat/longs into their respective countries, states, counties, and cities/villages. This is the link to the open-source Python 3 reverse-geocoder project. The program processes nearly 3 million rows in approximately 240 seconds.
Reverse Geo-Coding Considerations
In order to reverse geo-code lat/longs, one usually needs a source of shape files or K-D Tree files. I use the shape files found at the links below or information from GeoNames: